stringy pumpkin :( lost cause???

This forum is for beginning carvers who need help from more experienced pumpkin artists

Moderators: The Pumpkin Wizard, Jamie

Forum rules
No posting or trading of patterns from this or any other site is allowed on this forum. Please refrain from asking. This includes any emails or private messages.

If you're looking for patterns, Always check the Main Site first (http://www.carvingpumpkins.com)

Thank You.

stringy pumpkin :( lost cause???

Unread postby amadeus1282 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:21 pm

I've been sooooo busy that I'm just now starting my pumpkin. Very excited until I started getting the stringy bits that just KEEP coming off inside the pumpkin. This happened to me a couple years ago and it was a pain. So my question is, should I continue and hope for the best, or is this pumpkin a lost cause???? :(
amadeus1282
Gourd Hacker

Unread postby Punkinfanatic » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 pm

KEEP IT!!!!

I know it's a pain in the azz, but it is doable. I just finished a stringy pumpkin. It just took more gutting than usual. I used a clay loop, and toward the end of gutting it, I only moved upward. (from bottom to top of the pumpkin) and eventually, it stopped stringing on me.

It turned out beautifully when finished.
YOU CAN NEVER CARVE ENOUGH PUMPKINS!

Punkinfanatic
Pumpkin God

Unread postby Jamie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:32 am

stringy pumpkins suck. :evil: I've had that happen in the past. Really weird when you get them like that. I wonder what causes it.

I would (and did) carve it anyway. I can't remember the carving being bad because of that, it was just a pain to gut and thin. If you don't want to put time into a good design at least make a jack o lantern out of it. There are some good patterns for those too, that make it not just an ordinary jack o lantern, but are quick and easy.

sorry you got a bad kin :(

Jamie
Jamie
Associate Artist

Unread postby amadeus1282 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks you guys! Punkinfanatic - Oh my gosh, I didn't discover the wonderful clay loop tool until I had already started carving! Man I wish I would've thought of that first. But I could still scrape away a lot of the inside anyway. It's probably my new favorite tool.
I ended up using my other pumpkin. It was a little stringy too but not nearly as bad. A friend of mine carved a simpler design in the other one so it definitely wasn't wasted!
Hopefully I'll be posting pictures soon! :)
amadeus1282
Gourd Hacker

Unread postby Punkinfanatic » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Yes, that clay loop is awesome, but I find that my hands hurt more with it.
I read from others in another thread about these damn stringy pumpkins that if you re-hydrate them, they somewhat come back to life.
I tried it today.
I found that out of 12 pumpkins, 4 were stringy.
All 4 were bought at the grocery store, the other 8 were from a pumpkin farm, and they were fantastic! Wet, goopy, and the clay loop cut through it like butter. No more grocery store pumpkins for me.
Anyway, back to re-hydrating them..........
I soaked it in water for a few hours while I gutted the other 12 pumpkins, then went back to thin it out some more and found that it was easier. It soaked some of the water up, and as long as I gutted it thin, I was able to carve it without any problems.
YOU CAN NEVER CARVE ENOUGH PUMPKINS!

Punkinfanatic
Pumpkin God

Return to Beginners Carving Help