Best cutting order for this pattern?

This is the area for exchanging ideas and techniques with fellow Pumpkin Artists

Moderators: The Pumpkin Wizard, Jamie

Forum rules
No posting or trading of patterns from this or any other site is allowed on this forum. Please refrain from asking. This includes any emails or private messages.

If you're looking for patterns, Always check the Main Site (http://www.carvingpumpkins.com)

Thank You.

Best cutting order for this pattern?

Unread postby Easily Amewsed » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:35 pm

Hi!
I'm working out this pattern which includes both removing peel and thru cuts . There's a few places that could be simplified, but this is almost the finished design.
I like the look of it so far, but I'm not really sure where I should start when actually cutting it out. Should the small peices be cut before you take off peel or after? ...etc.? If anyone has insights to share, I'd appreciate it.
Thnanks from a noob. :)
EA
Easily Amewsed
Pumpkin Newbie

Unread postby Scubee » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:30 pm

I always cut the holes out first and then peeled. When you use a pattern where you have to be very careful, you can always cut through but leave the piece in while you finish. I think the Wiz has a similar recommendation in the "Instructions" on the main page. I rarely do that myself but that's just because I can help but poke out the cut through sections as soon as it's cut. :lol:
Scubee
Carving Machine

Unread postby Jamie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:36 pm

I always peel first. Then I do the small holes, and do the large cut out areas last.

Jamie
Jamie
Associate Artist

Unread postby Vinman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:24 pm

I'm with Jamie - (although who wouldn't be, have you seen her work?!? :D ) - I've tried cutting then peeling, but I've broken many a detail trying that method. Now I peel first and cut through second. Good luck!
Vinman
Carving Machine

peel first...cut last

Unread postby djjeffroe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:07 pm

This is the best way to go!
djjeffroe
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Return to The Artists Exchange