Chelsey's 2011 season

Post your pictures of your best carvings here!

Moderators: The Pumpkin Wizard, Jamie

Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE!
Carvings from ALL SOURCES are welcome here! Whether the pattern is from this site, or many of the other fine pattern sites on the Web, or even your own special designs. We love to see the great work that the carving community is doing!

No posting or trading of patterns from this or any other site is allowed on this forum. Please refrain from asking. This includes any emails or private messages.

If you're looking for patterns, Always check the Main Site (http://www.carvingpumpkins.com)

Thank You.

Re: Chelsey's 2011 season

Unread postby Nevermore » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:53 am

Higgy's right :lol:
Shoulda mentioned it...I use it and basically keep it permanently attached...teeheeheehee
Nevermore
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby The Pumpkin Wizard » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:50 am

+1:) +1:) +1:) On the Flex Shaft! It makes a HUGE difference when you're carving without the weight and the heat of the Dremmel in your hands.

If Santa REALLY loves you, he should bring you one... :thumleft:
The Pumpkin Wizard
Site Admin

Unread postby CraSYDiamond » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 am

Well, now I want one with a flex shaft too. Please Santa, I've been really good this year.
Go Leafs Go!
CraSYDiamond
Carving Machine

Unread postby Noel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Really looking forward to seeing the final carve of the whale
Noel
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby Chelsey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Nothing has gone right with this pumpkin. I got a ton of it carved, lit it up, and then found out that I didn't shave deep enough, so I've started deepening and recarving sections :( Here's the bottom corner, which has been recarved:

Chelsey
Apprentice Carver

Unread postby fewsbox2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 pm

WOW, i applaud you for tackling this carve. My wife is a professional manicurist. I have the pleasure of getting her old nail drills as she is constantly upgrading. I am currently using a KUPA KP-2500. This is a fairly pricey drill, but would highly recommend this for carving the fake kins. Quiet as could be, multi directional, This has been a God send! There are several models under $100. Quite a few on ebay. Have a look. Oh, & they never get hot!!!
fewsbox2
Carving Machine

Unread postby Nevermore » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:25 am

I think it's great!...
I always work with light in the pumpkin to ensure the carves are
deep enough or not too deep...sometimes nothing I do can seem
to make it right.

I think your kin is coming along..sometimes masterpieces take a
bit more time than others. Your end result will be as fabulous as
your other carves :D
Nevermore
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby Jamie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:15 pm

+1:) I agree with Nevermore! Keep at it and in the end you will have a masterpiece! I've never attempted to carve anything that hard!
Jamie
Associate Artist

Unread postby Higgy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:18 am

I do too, I actually have my light on a small base with a long piece of velcro on each side and then run them up the sides and connect real tight so I can flip my kin in whatever direction and the light stays in place, its actually an old lamp with the stand removed so I can use regular light bulbs, I also have a dimmer switch connected so I can adjust the light along with translucent paper (just because Nev was right about translucent paper) and get pretty much perfect pictures every time

Now that I typed that out and re-read it, it seems kinda confusing, i'll take a picture of my entire contraption so you get a better idea of what I use.
Higgy
Pumpkin God

Unread postby Kamose » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:43 am

Chelsey wrote:Nothing has gone right with this pumpkin. I got a ton of it carved, lit it up, and then found out that I didn't shave deep enough, so I've started deepening and recarving sections

What are you using for lighting? Maybe a brighter light source would do the trick.
Kamose
Carving Machine

Unread postby Chelsey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:41 am

What I usually do is just carve the whole pumpkin and then light it up temporarily using a flashlight. I haven't tried it, but it seems like carving with a light could become a big mess, especially with all the dust + lightbulb and the fact that I'd probably end up touching the lightbulb somehow and burn myself. With this pumpkin I carved a bunch of it, then tried the flashlight trick, and you couldn't even see where I carved. So, I tried a 40 watt bulb on a dimmer...the bulb had to be completely on (brightest) for me to see anything, but even then I couldn't see much detail. I deepened my carving and tried again, and it seems to work better. This giant funkin has to be twice the thickness of a normal funkin...in places I'm sure it's >1" thick...
Chelsey
Apprentice Carver

Unread postby Jamie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:34 am

I carve with a light inside too, there is just no way of knowing if enough light is coming through if you don't do that. Did you shave some of the inside of the pumpkin down? (also use a light for that part! yes it can get in the way on occasion, but better than getting too thin in some parts) Shaving the inside saves you from having to go so deep from the outside. If you haven't done this and try, be very very careful of your design now that you have gotten started, you don't want to knock anything off.
Jamie
Associate Artist

Unread postby Nevermore » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 pm

If you scroll down this page, you will see that for Michael's kins
I set up the light even before doing anything else.
Lights

However, for real kins, I also use a very strong flashlight or a trilight on highest setting
to ensure shade. Of course, the tri-light does not stay on all the time..I do have to keep
turning it on and checking it out.
Nevermore
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby annette » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:22 pm

I use a work light with a chandelier bulb in it. I leave it in and lit all the time I'm carving so I can see exactly what I'm doing. Even then I usually still have to thin it out a bit more from the inside once it's finished and I've got a candle in it.

- God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die.
annette
Supreme Pumpkin Being

Unread postby Scubee » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:37 am

The large pattern is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Scubee
Carving Machine

PreviousNext

Return to Your Best Carvings